Many of the Bronte sisters' famous novels were written here, and it was the success of Charlotte Bronte's novels that enabled her to afford to carry out alterations to the house between 1851 and 1854.

The Revd. Bronte's succesor, Revd. John Wade, made considerable alterations to the house in th 1870s, adding an extension to the property, and altering the interiors.  Since 1928 when the house became The Bronte Parsonage Museum, several other alterations have been made to provide necessary staff offices and accommodation.

 

The Parsonage Museum instructed Crick Smith Conservation working with Allyson McDermott to undertake paint research as a building archaeology tool to identify the chronology of these alterations. Evidence of these changes was reinforced through the analysis of paint samples, and the investigation of wallpaper fragments and architectural fittings.  This has enabled Allyson McDermott and Crick Smith to present the client with a scheme of decoration which reflects the interior decoration as it would have been when Charlotte had the house altered and redecorated.

Contact us

Tel: 01522 835051
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)